Wow. It's been a solid three years since I last wrote here. In that wildly full interim I've fallen in love with the man I'll marry this August, almost finished my residency in family medicine, made a wonderful home in Seattle, and managed not to leave North America... at all...
I started this blog in my last year of medical school when I spent a long month in a small hospital in Lesotho. I remember that experience as the first time I felt like a doctor (read: medically useful and marginally independent) and as a period of time that reinvigorated me personally and academically. I'm curious and hopeful about the ways international medicine will feel different in a new country, in a new period of my life, and with new training under my belt. Am I ready to work without attendings over my shoulder? Is medicine as big and wonderful as I hoped it would be when I started this training project a decade ago? Will international travel be a part of our lives in the future? Will I get sick of eating injera? Will we elope into Ethiopia's Simien mountains and abandon wedding planning? Only time will tell...
Elliott and I are heading out on March 27th from Seattle bound for Gondar, Ethiopia with brief stop-overs in Rome, Cairo, and Addis Ababa. I'll be working in a hospital for four weeks and Elliott will be exploring "The Camelot of Ethiopia" for both of us. We'll be staying in a guest house with our dear friend Sonal Patel, a resident colleague of mine. After our time is up Elliott and I will meet my mom in Rome and its environs for a week-long vacation full of wine and square pizza, beautiful hill-top towns, and sun-kissed adventuring.
Stay tuned for stories, pictures, and pithy revelations over the next couple months. We're anticipating infectious diseases (not in us; we got vaccinated for everything), monkeys, mountains, monks, mothers, and meatless merriment (Sonal's vegetarian and we all want to learn how to cook Ethiopian food).
xoxo, Liz
2 comments:
Liz, Elliott (& Sonal),
I'm so excited to read about all of your great adventures and the amazing growth experience this trip will provide.
I miss all of you already and can't wait for you to come back!
Kevin
Hteb and UE, this all sounds amazing. Except for the elopement. Seriously, we're pretty excited for August.
Enjoy, and bring home recipes.
ADB
Post a Comment