Though a big poop (and we're due) could get her below the line again, she is OFFICIALLY OVER FIVE POUNDS for the first time EVER. Birth weight was 4# 15.2oz (or .3, depending on your hospital scribe) and, due to our "Fois gras" syringe treatment (though she is NOT being raised for consumption), a sensational set of innate suckling skills, and enviable hutzpa, the girl is packing on the ounces like Kyle Dake taking on the next weight class.
Here's the sweet duo I get to share a bed with.
Here's the sweet duo I get to share a bed with.
On this, her first week birthday, we are celebrating her tininess, reassured by her weight gain that it will be fleeting. Here are some wonderfully expressive faces and skinny arm movements. Some of her funniest expressions come during burp sessions.
She's fun to imitate thought doesn't yet appreciate the interaction. We do.
We had our first major outing yesterday! We walked up to the video store and Walgreen's on 15th (about a mile each way) and felt very adventurous. Fiona slept the whole way, making little stirrings as we got close to home. It's a walk she's been on so many times (150?) that I wouldn't be at all surprised if she recognized the feeling of the final staircase descent down Pike to 19th, a block from home.
We continue to love our generous smattering of visitors. Duncan, Stephanie, and Desmond came over... maybe it was Wednesday. This calendar stuff is hard.
All of a sudden he looks HUGE!
And Megan brought us lunch yesterday and got some good snuggle time in.
Fiona mostly slept through everything... including 3 hours of obnoxious cable guys testing channels and leaving their cell phones on death metal ringtones.
OK, a little on the topics of:
-Poop/gas challenges.
Fiona has been rock-solid consistent in her patterns; we wake her every 3 hours to feed during the day and set alarms at night so she doesn't go longer than 4 hours. As we've documented her gaining weight and felt confident in my milk supply, we allowed that bit of nocturnal leniency for our sanity and it's been working great. We had our first little hiccup in the routine last night when, at the 9pm feeding she started arching her back away from the breast and crying more than she had before (which has been very little). She would be consolable when snuggled, knees to chest, against our skin, and calmed when we took her on a walk around the full-moonlit neighborhood. We figured it was poop/gas-related and we were able to syringe her enough of a feed to get her to bed. With some magic toots and squirts, she's back to her happy self.
-She will grow up.
I had the revelation that I was of two minds about wanting to fatten her up. Don't worry; this is not a story of Munchausen's by proxy. But she's SO DAMNED CUTE in the preemie clothes Katy dropped off yesterday with a bag of frutis and veggies (which made a yummy dinner). I was feeling the natural fear/reticence of the unknown future that I often feel twinges of before a new school year, a new job, whatever. Then I thought of how cool all the upcoming stages will be and thought, "we will revel in her 3-month self and her 2-year-old self" and relaxed back into enjoying her current fleeting featherweightitude.
-Being unpregnant rocks.
After 4 installments starting during last Friday's contractions (remember those?!) we finally finished watching Milk last night (So good, and it gives me a throw-back to my med school trip to Lesotho when I first watched it with the public health interns; apparently the same day we "borrowed" a donkey). And I realized, while reclining on the couch, that my back didn't hurt. Crazy! And I can eat a whole sandwich without discomfort. And I stopped taking my twice daily ranitidine and can STILL drink a cup of coffee and put hot sauce in my tomato soup. And my deep breaths are SO DEEP. And, C-section belly feels like nothing compared to the shoe-tying impediment of the last month. Speaking of which, I feel dandy. And when else do you get to lose 25 pounds in a week while eating grilled cheese, fig newtons, and strawberry shortcake (thanks, Schlough)?! I keep taking my tylenol and ibuprofen and we took that walk pretty darn slowly yesterday, but I am so grateful to kind and capable surgeons who brought this little girl out safely a week from tonight.
OK, we're gonna sling up this baby and go get a few sunshine rays before our next feeding.
xo, Liz
1 comment:
"She Will Grow Up." True! The best advice I got was to live in a state of "present nostalgia." Living in the moment, catching every moment, being thankful for every stage of your kid's life. And who's better at that than YOU? You amazing woman. I can assure you that every single month gets better and better as you watch them do more, say more, BE more. (I'm told this stays true until puberty.) Tonight at dinner Saia looked at me and said (in a very serious tone) "Mama, you are SO GOOD at making babies." Then she told me she was "never ever going to poop again." So at the very least you have fun dinnertime conversations to look forward to. LOVE YOU!!!!! THANKS FOR BLOGGING!!!!
Post a Comment