Sunday, March 29, 2009

Incoming American!

This is the view out of the back door to our garden and laundry line. Pretty sweet, eh? I'll try to get a pic of the cute little lizards who sun and run when I open the door.
Hello, fuzzy dude!
These little guys are EVERYWHERE in the garden. Anyone know what they are?
Love it.
Me, happy and without week-day responsibilities. Yay!
No idea why the magnet is from Wales; maybe there's a convent connection. These guys keep getting inside and necessitating rides in water glasses out the front door.

Tigey made it to Lesotho, and is sort of glad the biggest wildlife he's seen is the praying mantis. He's a little intimidated by the Big Five.

So, so far this has been a successfully uneventful weekend. I thought Joe wasn't getting here until late tonight but just got a call from him on a security officer's cell phone from Maseru's Moshoeshoe (Muh-SHWAY-shway) Airport. Whoopee! I'm glad I wasn't off hiking with Phil. Since nobody knew when he was arriving (because of his plane delays) nobody was there to pick him up. I called one of the public health interns who seems to know everything, who managed to arrange a pick-up for him. He should be arriviving in a couple hours. He says he snagged a few hours here and there, but the man's been travelling for DAYS and must be exhausted.

Alright, I'm off to stock up on those things on the list under the praying mantis, make a little lunch, read a little more about opportunistic infections for a presentation to the residents tomorrow, and settle Joe in (assuming this ride worked out). I need to pick up another 5L box of red wine to keep Sister Lucy in the juice. She's a very light drinker, really, but I love that she comes over and always accepts a little glass.

Oh, in case you didn't know, you can click on any of the pictures and make them bigger. They're pretty big files, so have nice resolution. Ciao!

4 comments:

gotgauge? said...

Don't know what your flying whatnots are, but I love clicking on and expanding the pics--which I figured out yesterday--to confirm that I don't know what they are. Congrats on letting/making yourself chill for much of the weekend. Exceptional range of pictures. "Nice running dog!!" Can you print pictures, to give to, say, the boy on his bike?

Anonymous said...

Do all women wear head coverings in Lesotho?
Where do they put all the bodies?
Don't know what those thingies are either.
I thought it was interesting in your death story the other day that the family member was out of the room and doctors in the room for the death. So different from here.
Maggles has discovered a new game: sitting in the laundry basket while we push/pull her around. Mush!
J & D

Liz Bogel Ryan said...

Head coverings seem to be totally optional. There are a lot of sun hats, some scarves, and a lot of adornmentless heads.
Funeral homes tend to be the biggest and nicest buildings in town, but I don't know whether everyone gets buried or if there is some cremation. I know that the morgue at the hospital is frequently full to capacity and that there have been times when there weren't any gurneys available for the living patients because they were all occupied by dead bodies. Yikeroo, eh?

Laundrydiderod sounds awesome. I hope she still likes it in May.

-liz

gotgauge? said...

Maggles: I remember that laundry basket trick, with Elizabeth: perfect angle for wrecking the parental back. Get a dog.

Elizabeth: speaking of head coverings: is there a prominent religion? What do people eat mostly? Is there adequate agricultural space in this high country? Hi to you and to Joe!