Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Temporary loss of steam...

You'll notice laptops and beer in this picture: a nice end to a long, hard day.

Yay, Joe got here! And he shaved his facial hair for N95 fit (TB mask). We're assuming at this point that we will be starting residency on 6-9 months of isoniazid prophylaxis (for TB exposure) so we're trying to get our drinking in now. With Kevin and Ethel gone (though confirmed safe in Durban) and me still green to the ways of Motebang, Joe's had to hit the ground running. Yesterday was a crazy day full of procedures and minor emergencies and today wasn't much different.

I think I'll go home and write a bit at home after dinner. The short of the last couple days has been:
1) Sad and a bit ungrounding to lose Ethel and Kevin.
2) Great to have Joe arrive
3) Lots of patients all with needs for procedures necessitating chest xrays, blood draws, spinal taps, belly taps, etc. which is good experience but makes the "big picture" of the male and female wards tricky for lack of time.
4) The sticker distribution has gone really well lately.
5) I'm getting a ride home with a public health intern so I'm gonna go!

xo, liz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got home from my clinic, and I must say it would be much better if we had beer there.

Joanne

Emily said...

Hi Lizzo, I love you! --em