Wednesday, March 11, 2009

One week and counting down...






All of a sudden this is feeling real. I went shopping yesterday and today and got rain pants, snazzy sunglasses (I crushed mine snowboarding a few weeks ago at Sugarbush), infectious disease reference and study-up books, a cute and tough little camera case that'll fit in a white coat pocket, a couple new books to read, and a nice Moleskine journal. I still want to get an international driver's license and some bug spray and I still nees to do my durn taxes, but I think I'm good otherwise.

In other news, U2 is playing at the Somerville Theatre down the block and I happened upon a photo op this afternoon on the way to the convenience store. I had flashbacks to playing War on repeat in 6th grade. Shameless photo included.

Now my goal for this week is to finish seeing nearly everyone I know before I leave. Leaving for Lesotho with only a week back in Boston in May before heading off to residency (somewhere...) makes this seem like the beginning of being GONE for a long time. I'm having my first real pangs of sadness but am mostly overwhelmingly excited at the adventure and rightness of it all.

I don't have much more to say except please let me know if you want to Skype while I'm away. That'll be the main way I'll talk to folks back home. My Skype name is lizbogel. I made it up myself!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Lizzy-barf,

The comments are working!

-me

Unknown said...

Hey liz, nice blog. Might I suggest: lots of alcohol swabs, lots of hand sanitizer, lots of gloves, and a couple tourniquets. Also, definitely bring your computer, especially if you're looking to skype. Other than that, get ready for an entirely new experience, very sick patients and the truly enormous skies of Africa. Can't wait to see you soon! FHF, Kevin

Unknown said...

Oh, and why are you paying taxes? I haven't paid any for the past four years. Pretty sure you don't have to pay taxes on debt. If I'm wrong, don't let the IRS know.

Liz Bogel Ryan said...

Aah, a little more thievery in my future then... I haven't had to PAY taxes since I've been studiously acquiring debt, but you still have to file, so maybe you should work on that extension form, heh heh. Oh, and so good that I can use my own computer to Skype; I was wondering about that.

caitlin said...

hi liz! ditto what kevin said about stuff to bring. also don't sweat the international driver's license... i got one and didn't need it at all, so it was a nice waste of my money.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to skype! You can still growl with Maggie long distance. jwilkmd

Joanne

Chinook McLean said...

So excited for you!!! I'm always jealous of people when they get to travel even though many might say I've had more than my fair share....
Enjoy the work and pack in as much scenery as you can when you're not working. So glad you're going to (probably) my favourite continent.
xxoox