Sunday, April 19, 2009

All my pictures are of Joe

Joe and I have spent a good portion of our weekend in these chairs. I'm taking the picture from our front door. Past the garden you can see the chapel at the convent. A minute later Sister Charity came by, moved Joe's cell phone onto his flip-flops to protect it, I suppose, and walked away. Later she came back to plug in her cell phone using our adaptor because Sister Lucy doesn't know she has a cell and would disapprove. She also asked me if I was marriaged, told me she read an article in the American magazine (do I know "The Magazine"?) that said that people who had a true love sometimes got divorced. She then asked me if it was possible for a black woman to marry a white man from America. "That makes me frightened." I told her that in America you can marry people from anywhere. I decided not to get into recent advances in gay marriage laws so as not to blow her mind all at once. Jeepers.
Mrids, Joe, Libby, Phil: half way up and taking a breather. It was a bit hand-over-foot scrambly.
The top of the rocky hill behind the public health interns' abode: it was maybe a forty minute trip up? We wound through the yards and animal trails of a little piece of village. Kids waved, called us "lahoua" (foreignor), and laughed. Ah, the joy of being an endless spectacle...
Mmm, "Puerto Rican" corned "beef" dinner. I was super skeptical but it was actually quite good. Add tomato sauce and veggies and spices to any meat-like product and things turn out well.
Joe is back from communing with the wild goats of Taba Joyner (I think someone had already claimed this land, but Joe has renamed it). For some reason I can't upload the other pics from today's little hike up our backyard mountainlet and I need to go home and get the pizza dough spread out for yummification. Sorry for the brevity! (Oh, nevermind; it's working now. Pics are in a funny order because I can't change them once they're up.

Love you, home people!!!

1 comment:

gotgauge? said...

Please tell Joe that he is 27: what was I thinking???