Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I FN NE NRG

Sunday afternoon I made pizza dough and we threw on (very mild) cheddar cheese and all the veggies we could fit. The pizza was really tasty but the yeast that Sandy gave me was POWERFUL and I think it hadn't finished working its magic by the time we ate. There were consequences...

You can see the mini-zucchinis ("marrows") on the counter. They're oh-so-tender and yummy. We have a gas stove without much control over flame intensity, so cooking is always a fun guessing game.
Mmm... are you done, little pizza?

Whoa, this is a lot of dishes!

----------

4/21/09

Today I have what is referred to in some (intimate) circles as "Huron City Sleeping Sickness". The infection produces signs and symptoms similar to those observed in "roofie" victims but can not, as yet, be detected in the blood. I don't know what's going on. I got almost 9 hours of sleep, had one beer last night, exercised for the previous three days but not this morning, had two cups of coffee this morning, and don't feel depressed in the slightest. This is the first really cloudy day here and the cool, windy weather on the walk to work transported me to the eating porch of the Brook Cottage on the verge of a storm over Lake Huron. Ooh, a crackly fire and a good book, perhaps punctuated by a game of Balderdash and a Jack and Vernors would be just about heavenly... Thankfully this has been a slow patient care day and I've been able to afford short vacations between physical exams.

In other news, my knitting fans will be proud to know I have cabled successfully SIX times and have increased my general stitch pace dramatically. I have great confidence that my project will be finished by baby time and that I may even gain the skill to improvise a little at the end for unique Basotho effect!

Maybe three and a half weeks ago I visited a women's cooperative weaving shop in TY, a little town with a big name (that everyone abbreviates) and ordered a beautiful big wall hanging of a herd boy, sheep, and mountain background. Ten days ago the women called me to say they didn't have any grey thread, to which I said, "Do whatever you think looks good". They haven't called back and I think Joe and I need to make a pilgrimage there to see what's up.

Tomorrow late morning there's an award ceremony for the staff of the female medical ward who earned "ward of the year". From my vast, four-and-a-half weeks of experience here, I agree. It should be a fun party with speeches, a trophy, catered lunch, and certificates all around. I'll try to play paparazzi.

Man, I am super tired. I think I'm gonna retire on home with my fluconazole articles. There is quite a bit of cryptococcal meningitis here but we have limited treatment options. I'm doing a little case presentation about crypto that is resistant to fluconazole treatment and in which cases amphoterecin B is more effective. Don't worry; I won't post my power-point.

Congratulations to everyone who ran the marathon yesterday in Boston! Congratulations to everyone who watched the marathon and drank beer yesterday! I'd also like to request that the general public not lose faith in the moral character of young doctors-in-training based on the arrest of my BU colleague (whom I recognize but don't know).

Finally, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUNT DIANE!

7 comments:

Bennet Cerf said...

Interesting looking pizza. I take it you can't successfully order out - I thought Dominos was everywhere!

For the uninformed - is Huron City Sleeping Sickness a disease germane to the African continent? Is my old friend Billy Phelps to be found in Lesotho?

Dr. Phelps, I presume?

Duncan Vinson said...

It's funny how that squash has so many names. The British use the French word, "courgette".

Unknown said...

CDB Liz, CDB. Alex just read that to the girls and they loved it. It is perfect HCSS weather here, too: rainy and cool. Too bad I am working.

Ah, Vernors and Jack.

gotgauge? said...

nnecuc fish.

icd Cinderella w/ mne kids

ifnrg

Anonymous said...

That pizza looks better than the BMC cafeteria's, where I am now going to get my lunch.

Joanne

Liz Bogel Ryan said...

Mr. Cerf,
Thank you sincerely for your request for clarification. I humbly ask you and my other readers for forgiveness for assigning the name of "Huron City Sleeping Sickness" to an ailment whose etiology can not, by any stretch of the imagination, be blamed on a small town on the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. The symptoms were so similar and my mental state so close to obtundation that I momentarily allowed my powers of medical diagnosis lapse. I think I shall dub this new "sister disease" Hlotse Lethargy. Thank you again, kind critic.

-Liz

Bennet Cerf said...

Dear Dr. Bogel,

Please do not confuse my inquisitiveness with criticism.

Did Billy Phelps die of the dreaded HCSS?

I am waiting for an episode of "House" which utilizes HCSS as the unknown disease. In that Dr. Gregory House received his medical degree from the University of Michigan, after being dismissed from Johns Hopkins, I am sure he has had some contact with HCSS.