Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Oh, Chicken, you're so fine...

you're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Chicken! Hey Chicken!




I particularly like the rose in a Savannah Cider bottle and the Oxford Guide to Tropical Medicine which grace our table. This meal includes couscous, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and great happiness garnered from our trip to Spar in Fitchburg.

Another good day at the hospital today. One of the nurses from female medical came up to the outpatient department where I was (unsuccessfully) trying to prevent a psychotic woman from taking out the IV I had just started. She helped me tape the sucker down for a few minutes and then, after we gave up, she had me set up a time I could come at shift change (7am) and receive some sort of gift from the nurses and take a photo with them. She may have said it was a hat but that might have just been to throw me off her true trail.

I had a really interesting talk with a man who is some kind of school supervisor for Basotho high schools and just tested positive for HIV. He told me how he avoided testing clinics for years out of fear and noticed that nobody used to go to the clinics. Last week, when he finally went to get tested, he said "people were flocking". He described how he has been told by people in his community that when you have a cough it can build into tuberculosis, and finally develop into HIV disease. He says that people have changed so that now, in an effort to avoid HIV, they are coming in to get their coughs treated early in the course. Ay-ay-ay... I guess it's good that they're coming in early but that's getting anti-TB meds is a little less effective than using condoms for preventing HIV transmission. He's a fascinating guy and speaks excellent English so I'm looking forward to talking with him more as we get his disease under control.

Oh, so I'm waiting until Thursday to make the carrot cake. Unless I make it tonight... We'll see. We're having a pot-luck at Fadya and Deborah's tomorrow with their kids, Phil, Sandy, Mrids, Carrie, and Libby. Mmm... there are so many veggies in our fridge at home; I can't wait to go eat them.

4 comments:

gotgauge? said...

I see that Joe, though he's 27 1/2, does not have a glass of wine. Ain't it great to get veggies! Such interesting anecdotes of patients, day after day: thanks.

Anonymous said...

If you think that people in Boston are any more logical in their reasons for getting or not getting health care than that guy....well, just come visit my clinic.

Maggie's mom

Julia Thompson said...

Carrot vake...uh oh..we know what happens when we try baking carrot cake while away on adventures. Let me knwo how it turns out :)
I have been taking some time to do more france research and am completely thrilled to adventure with you. I will tryo t sort out some good ole' skype-ing so we can speak soon. Love you! Heart, J

Liz Bogel Ryan said...

Big J, I'm hoping for a little more rise than we got last time. Can't really believe my luck that I get to move from one set of mountains to another in such quick succession. I can hardly think so many steps ahead, but the Alps are starting to call to me! Je t'adore, Grade J, xo, liz