
Look! Liz and Joe do work at home! Clearly we put the camera on its timer but we really were doing research and preparing presentations. And yes, that's a glass of wine beyond me and yes, we watched _Man on Wire_ soon after this was taken, but we were working.

The ceremony for "Ward of the Year" was held in the waiting area for the labs and x-ray today. Every member fo the hospital staff took a couple hours off to attend. This is well before the gig got started and twenty minutes later this was standing room only with people spilling out the back. I think this was a wonderful day for all the hospital employees. At least fifty people were in happy, emotional tears by the end, brought on by outpourings of appreciation and invocations of the spirits of Florence Nightingale and King Moshoeshoe the Great. It was truly awesome.

Gardener of the month complete with enthusiastic cleaner/whistle-tooter/awardee-accompanist.

Yay, nurses! Note the dressed-up seats of honor (I learned how to dress a chair today) with gold ribbons.

Here are a few of the wonderful nurses from Female Medical.
As the group of nurses, nursing assistants, and cleaners got up to take a group picture they started singing without even a nod to each other. It was like a frickin' musical.
This was a big day for Motebang. I took many more pictuers to document the festivities than I'm going to upload here. There was a quite reasonable schedule of events for today's awards ceremony and I was amazed to watch the thing unfold. During every little lull between the motivational speaker and the impromptu "Gardener of the Month" trophy presentation, between the tour of the winning medical ward and the lunch, there was spontaneous bursts of song and dance. There was an unscheduled 4-person song and dance by some of the cleaning staff who beat of washtubs and waved feather dusters while harmonizing. There were several people with two-tone whistles, the notes set a half-step apart and played in rapid, happy staccato. There were celebratory ululations with each announcement of the maybe fifteen names of award recipients.
OK, off to find dinner. More later, taters!
2 comments:
music, music is magic; singing: oh lah.
thanks!
I want one of those feather duster thingies on MY head next time I do something great.
Joanne
Post a Comment