Here is a drawing of some Bejajes and old city center buildings. I think the Bejaj blue is a bit darker. Things look different with polarized sunglasses on or off.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Soaring vultures
Elliott writing: I made it to the mountain top. Every mountain top should include a fancy hotel patio, soaring falcons and vultures, ice cold Dashen beer and a 10 top of brits next table over (gratuity included here). It was a good hike; steady climb, not too many folks around, fresh breeze and stretches shaded by Eucalyptus trees. On the walk down I snapped a few pictures of the city below. With a population of 2 to 3 hundred thousand, Gonder has a suprising lack of sprawl. The population is not stacked on top of eachother in high rise apartments, rather squeezed in side by side. Narrow dirt alleys feeding larger dirt roads emptying onto paved main roads, all with houses packed in side by side. The only way to grasp how 200,000 folks live here is to walk down these alleys. My estimation of the typical house in Gonder: a wall made out of corrugated metal encloses 500 square feet, the house is one story with maybe two rooms and a cooking/chillin porch, maybe a hutch for animals, a chicken walking around. I'd like to know how many square feet of private space a average Gonderan gets. How much space do we get in Seattle?
Here is a drawing of some Bejajes and old city center buildings. I think the Bejaj blue is a bit darker. Things look different with polarized sunglasses on or off.
Here is a drawing of some Bejajes and old city center buildings. I think the Bejaj blue is a bit darker. Things look different with polarized sunglasses on or off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Elliott, I'm SO glad you're sharing paintings. This is wonderful, as is your description of the hike and the vistas. Thanks. Are drivers pedalling these or are they gas or electric?
Liz--Did YOU do the drawing? Mendel says you are supposed to have inherited zero artistic talent (sorry to speak for you, Lynda), but maybe those watercolor lessons from Aunt Betsy years ago helped nurture to trump nature. In any case, we all so love your blog, and we sympathize with your anguish about merely saving lives when you could be selling shoes or designing video games or helping Paul Ryan write his Very Serious "Fuck All But The Wealthy" budget. We love you so. xoxo R/C/N
Hah! So funny, BP, that you think I have a remote chance of producing such art. I simply admire Mr. Ryan's gifts and revel in their camel-like survival within such proximity to my artistic desert. May Mendel bless our children with our cumulative strengths and keep them from a flat tax.
Love the picture!
Post a Comment