Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Happy First Month Birthday!

Fiona's schedule got wonky a couple days ago and somehow Elliott hung out with her and let me sleep in until 11 on his first Fathers' Day.   I don't think it's supposed to work that way...  But I appreciate it!  Could it be that Wonder Weeks is right and she's preparing for her 5-week developmental leap into new-and-improved sensory intake?!  She had been eating every 3 hours during the day with the regularity of that storied Grandfather's Clock* until Saturday when she started getting ferociously hungry either 90 minutes or 6 hours (what a sleep!) after her previous feed.  We had been so confident in our crying diagnostic skills until this new turn; we're adapting to her growth spurt.  

Later on we hit the road for lunch and, having found ourself up north a bit, had a beer with Duncan and Stephanie at their new place in Ravenna.  

Diaper Dude in action!  Thanks, Uncle Alex.  


Desmond, aka "King Neck Strength" and Little Scrunchy Face.


Caught half-way into her sleep sack and a bit bewildered.

Some look-alikes:


Propped up against my legs and having a nice alert period.  These are getting more frequent and longer. Super fun.  

She's also getting more expressive and seems to be noticing more about her world.  I wouldn't say she's in charge of her expressions but they are really fun to watch.  

We're battling a bit of diaper rash and, since she's taking in the world more, we've been hoping distractions will keep her happier while airing her heiny.  On this occasion we were wrong...

Looking rather regal, I think, modeling her lovely hand-made bonnet from her great-great-aunt Jean, my maternal grandfather's sister.  She also sent along this beautiful silver dish which originally belonged to her grandmother.  Did you get that?  This silver dish is from Fiona's great-great-great-grandmother!  Wagoners, help me out: what was Randy's mom's name?

This sling is awesome and will stay so until she grows a bit more.  Elliott spelled me to go for a gorgeous run to Volunteer Park --the farthest I've been so far (3 1/2 miles)-- and is managing to keep a pinky in her mouth while watering the blackberries.  Excellent skills.  

Happy birthday!  Yes, that's breast milk with a candle.  Fiona slept through the celebration.  The only other time I've celebrated a 1-month birthday I was in Finland with Julia and a carrot cake that failed to rise in celebration of Nicholas' first month.  January, 1997!

* I had no idea there were so many verses to that song.

1 comment:

gotgauge? said...

Her great-great-great grandmother's name is Baum Sutton. Got to get the real first name from Nan. She lived--and I loved her tiny quirkiness--until I was at least fifteen. For now, call it Sutton's Silver. Love ya.