Wednesday, April 15, 2009

And back again...


Here's Biking Liz with Zebras until I have the energy to write a real Swazi post. Yes, Mom, we were staying inside Mlilwane Game Park at a backpackers' dorm.

Well that was one heck of a long weekend... I only have 15 minutes before work so I'll post more later but I'm getting a bit of harassment for neglecting the blog so wanted to appease the impatient before tending to the inpatients. Oh, I kill me!

It was a totally wonderful weekend complete with Easter Swazi pilgrims, white water rafting, hippos by mountain bike, a campfire sing with a choir from Heidelberg (did you know there are four Heidelbergs?), some good ol-fashioned dancing to house music, breakfasts with Mary the ostrich, and a scenic night-time tour of the smoky slums of Johannesburg.

OK, the original players: me, Joe, six public health LeBoHA-ers: Josh, Libby, Carrie, Mridula, Aude, Kat, and then Libby's cool friend Theresa, a recent convent escapee (seriously: she had amazing stories of her kidnapping). We set out from Hlotse (this town where the hospital is) Friday morning around 10. We were in two rented cars and made it to the border in no time. When I arrived in Lesotho without a work visa I got a 30-day stamp on my passport that gets renewed every time I leave the country so this was a nicely timed get-away for my documentation, lying fewer than 30 days from my entry and exit dates. Mrids got a short bit of hassling for being Indian but, as she had managed a get-out-of-jail-free-card from Aude's friends, the Prince of Swaziland, we were off and running into the countryside of South Africa in no time. Oh shoot, I should start work.

Much more later with photos. xo, liz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hurray to hear from you! I'm in Boston on a hotel computer, just panting to know you had a good time and are not hippo-bit. Lisa, Norb, Ethan, Diane, Henry, Abe, Josiah, Nan and moi attend your every word: Boston's been fab, even without you.

Mom

Anonymous said...

await news of how you has a dusty time in J'burg, as by my map's lights, that's in a very different direction from Swaziland....

Mom

phil said...

Mountain biking with zebras, how cool is that. More photos!

Now I must go and bike with yuppies along the Charles, nearly as exotic.