Thursday, September 5, 2013

We have friends, we move a lot of dirt, our baby rolls over and gets bounced, Grammy takes pity and washes her.

Here's the part where we have friends.  It had been MUCH too long since we'd hung out with these people and eaten delicious food.  Luckily it seemed totally natural that we now have a new little person whom we made (what?! still boggles my mind) to pass around in her ducky suit.  She was super chill and stayed up til midnight hanging with her adoring public.  Then she slept a lot.  



Our household spent a good portion of the 3-day weekend moving dirt.  Out with 6 cubic yards of sandy, rocky dirt and in with 6 yards of yummy, nutritious dirt. for grass seed and future gardening.  Matt stopped by to put in some manly toil.  Don't be fooled; I wore shoes for much of this project.  I just wanted to feel it between my toes a little.  


Fiona continues to love and be calmed by being outside.  So while we dug and rolled and raked she played with Reycroft, napped, smiled at passers-by, and (I imagine) enjoyed the smell of the rosemary bush under which she was parked.  

Over the past couple weeks she has become dramatically more present, taking in facial expressions, making goofy faces and smiling during nursing and then gasping and latching back on when I notice her goofiness, looking with urgent interest towards the vacuum cleaner, reaching with new accuracy and speed for necklaces.  She's here.  She's one of us.

These guys are buddies.  And she was crying for food the other day until Jen made fart noises and made her smile.  Fun.  We're still waiting for the belly laugh; it's gonna be good.

This is fun.  I like watching her slowly realize how much fun she's having. She likes stuff.  

Umm.  So parenting is really tiring.  Even though we know it could be SO MUCH harder, like if she were a crappy sleeper or if she cried a lot for reasons we couldn't decipher or if we worked nights.  But jeez.  Elliott and Fiona flopped on the floor at my mom's apartment while she made us dinner the other night and I mostly avoided the couch because I thought I wouldn't be able to get off it.

We went to a picnic at Elliott's high school friend, Justin's mom's house Monday and, while I was giving her some air time after a diaper change... SHE JUST ROLLED OVER like it was no big thing.  Luckily she was on this nice, flat hot tub cover.  She hardly seemed to notice except that she was a little annoyed to be on her tummy (though Elliott says she did some nice tummy time tricks today).  I was honored to be there because I had been feeling like I was about to start missing important life moments as I got back to work.  Thanks, Squirt.

Since then she hasn't done it again but has been reaching for toys (like this cute little guy from Rick, Catherine, and Nicholas) and lifting her butt in the air.  I think she's now figured out she's got some new skills in the offing and is pretty excited.

A couple photos my mom sent me while I was at work the last couple days.  

Fun aerial tummy tubby pic.  Apparently she started having fun splashing with her hands.  As I may have mentioned we don't wash Fiona so it's good Grammy's here.

It's late again and I'm tired so that'll have to do for now.  xoxo.

No comments: